The Maldives isn't just a hotspot for honeymooners. It's also a haven for families with children of all ages. Luxury resorts cater to your every whim, with babysitting services that keep kids entertained while parents can unwind, and suites that offer everything you need to create an almost home from home.
Wherever you choose to stay in the Maldives, there's so much for families to enjoy. In this guide we've taken a look at the things you can do, the best places to stay and why a Maldives holiday is the perfect choice for you and your brood.
What to consider when planning a family friendly holiday to the Maldives
The Maldives is a wonderful choice for a family holiday, here are some things to consider before booking your trip away:
- The flight time to the Maldives is between 10 and 11 hours – For families with younger children this is something you'll need to plan for as long travel can disrupt their sleep and mood. You'll also need to plan for further travel from Male Airport via a seaplane or speedboat.
- The best time to visit is between November and April – This is when the weather is just right. It's ideal for a festive break (who doesn't want to spend Christmas day on the beach?) with the kids! Our guide on when to travel to the Maldives has more details about the best time to book your break.
- The Maldives is five hours ahead of the UK – This means there'll be some adjusting on the first few days to that new bedtime routine!
- An All Inclusive package is well worth the money – For many families a trip to the Maldives is a once in a lifetime experience. Make it all that more special with an indulgent All Inclusive package. For some resorts this means you'll enjoy stocked up mini bars, butler services and private dining – ideal for families making memories. Plus, it means there are no limits on what the kids can order when it comes to food, ideal for those fussy eaters.
Things to do for families in the Maldives
Boredom is simply impossible in the Maldives and while there are no amusement parks, there's still plenty of ways to keep everyone entertained.
Whether you want to stay active, lounge in the sun or learn a new skill, anything is possible in this stunning location. Here are just a few things that you can do as a family during your stay, whatever resort you choose:
- Snorkelling and diving – Whether you're a novice with a snorkel or a pro in a wetsuit, there's no end of opportunity to discover the wonders of the underwater world. Many resorts offer trips out into open water to spot dolphins, turtles and rays in their natural habitat.
- Watersports – Don't fancy donning a mask? No problem. You can still enjoy all the fun on the water with a range of watersports available across many resorts. Have a go at windsurfing, head out as a family on a high speed banana boat or learn how to balance on a surfboard.
- Spend days on the beach – Skip the pool and nab a couple of sunbeds on the beach. Watch the kids build castles, paddle in the water and bury each other in the sand. Stay until the sun sets and capture some gorgeous pictures to share with loved ones back home.
Take a look at our full guide on things to do in the Maldives, where we've rounded up a range of activities you can enjoy during your stay.
Resorts in the Maldives with the best kids' clubs
There's no shame in letting your kids head off for the day for organised fun, while you and your partner enjoy some time for yourselves.
Holidays are a time to unwind and do the things that make you happy. So, while the children play and craft and learn about the Maldivian islands and culture you can catch a tan, book a massage at the spa or spend the day having a go at every fitness class on offer.
Here, we've rounded up some of the resorts with the best kids' clubs, so you can book your holiday knowing that your little ones have something to look forward to as well.
Explorers' Club at Niyama Private Islands
This award winning kids' club is one of the main selling points for this luxurious resort. Plus the incredible private villas, marine biology lab, indulgent spa with overwater treatment rooms and nine restaurants to choose from, of course.
The kids' club is broken down into four age groups: Globetrotters (12-24 months), Adventurers (3-4 years), Voyagers (5-7 years) and Pioneers (8-12 years). This ensures that kids can enjoy activities perfect for their age from finger painting for the Adventurers to braving the climbing wall for Pioneers.
Kuda Mas Kids' Club at the Four Seasons Resort at Kuda Huraa
Kuda Mas means 'small fish' and this club at the Four Seasons at Kuda Huraa is designed for little ones aged between three and 12. Kids will love the craft sessions where they can try out coral painting and palm leaf folding, lessons where they learn more about Maldivian culture and racing hermit crabs on the beach.
Babysitting services are also available for children aged 1 and up, allowing parents with younger kids time to themselves.
Max's Mermaids and Pirates Club at the Kuredu Resort and Spa
The itinerary at this incredible kids' club at the Kuredu Resort and Spa means little ones aged between three and 12 will never get bored – and you may even struggle to pull them away to get ready for dinner!
From origami workshops to karaoke competitions to jewellery making where they can create gifts to share with their parents later, there's always something going on. Alternatively, little ones can simply blow off steam on the playground with brightly coloured slides, swings and climbing equipment.
Kids' Club at the Amari Havodda Maldives Resort
The Amari Havoddi resort, located on a stunning preserved atoll, has plenty for parents and kids to enjoy. The Kids' Club is a popular spot for little ones where they can play games on the beach, enjoy story time and play with toys in the dedicated kids area.
Meanwhile, parents can book in for a treatment at the Breeze Spa or simply enjoy a few hours of quiet by the pool with a good book, knowing that their little ones are being well cared for and entertained.
Makaana Kids' Club at the Sun Siyam Olhuveli Maldives
As well as three swimming pools, snorkelling safaris and an incredible stretch of golden sand to enjoy, Sun Siyam Olhuveli Maldives also offers an incredible kids' club.
Kids between the ages of three and 12 can relax by their very own pool (with incredibly cute mini sun loungers!) go wild in the air conned soft play area or settle into a bean bag and watch a movie with their new friends in the TV room.
The incredible staff also organise arts and crafts and games with the children to ensure they never get bored while parents enjoy some time to relax.
The Maldives is so much more than a honeymoon destination. Consider this magical location for your next family holiday and make memories. Discover the latest deals on our Maldives holidays or speak to one of our travel experts about your requirements today.