Commanding a quiet strip along Cape Town’s Atlantic Seaboard, the 12 Apostles is the perfect luxury escape for couples and families alike. One of 17 global hotels owned by Red Carnation, everyone is family at the 12 Apostles. From the moment you step through the door and are handed a tall glass of bubbly at check-in, to the warm first-name greetings from the staff, for many returning guests coming here is like coming home.
For the couples
With panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and the Twelve Apostles mountain range and with a full-frontal view of the annual whale migration and some of the most spectacular Cape Town sunsets, the 12 Apostles is built for romance. Which is why it’s so popular for proposals, honeymooners and babymooners. Beautiful view points behind the hotel are favourites for proposal spots while the romantic Tea by the Sea experience – a cake stand with pastries and macaroons with a sweeping view over the coastline – is perfect for two! You’ll often see the same couples coming back time and again – newly engaged or honeymooning or for destination weddings, preggy-belly escapes and family holidays.
For the Families
Families are well catered for at the 12 Apostles. Kids get their own shelves at the breakfast buffet stocked with exciting treats and milkshakes and there are kids’ menus at all restaurants. When it comes to entertainment, there is plenty to do. Ask at reception for family-friendly attractions in the area, from the Two Oceans Aquarium to the beaches along the Atlantic Seaboard, or watch a movie at the private cinema which has five movie screenings a day – with popcorn, hot chocolate, milkshakes and sweets on the menu!
Choose from a variety of mountain and sea facing rooms at the 12 Apostles, from the Classic Rooms all the way to the Grand Master Suite. Each room is tailored to suit you so be sure to let us know if you’re planning a special occasion. Plus, if you’re travelling with kids, be sure to let us know if your child’s favourite movie and we’ll ensure their DVD is set up for your arrival. View all room options here.
WHAT MAKES IT SPECIAL?
- The whale bell that alerts guests to whales in the bay
- Their greatest asset is their staff. They go above and beyond: complimentary morning newspapers delivered to your room, pillow and soap menus in the bedrooms and even complimentary sun cream around the pools
- It’s pet friendly. Your four legged friends can look forward to a personal invitation from the hotel’s resident cat, Ingwe (meaning leopard in Xhosa), pet-friendly rooms with pet beds and a pet menu with special meals prescribed by the resident veterinarian
- Sports buddies: join Prince or a member of his team on an adventure of your choosing, from hiking the 11 hiking trails on the property, to a game of squash and golf or a cycle along Chapman’s Peak
- Shopping buddies: a member of staff will join you for a day of shopping at the V&A Waterfront
BEST AT TRAVEL TIPS
- Try the burger sliders: Don’t leave without trying the Leopard Bar’s delicious burger sliders! A generous selection of beef, lamb and chicken burgers with skinny fries is the perfect sharing platter. Extra tip: ask your waiter if you can pair the platter with Bourchard Finlayson wines from the hotel’s very own vineyard! (speak to Zane – he knows a lot about his wines and spirits)
- Cocktails: The diverse cocktail menu can be daunting. Ward off indecision by enjoying our tried-and-tested Goose Cocktail or the Cucumber and Chilli Margarita (you’re welcome!)
- Skip the traffic: and fly from the V&A Waterfront by helicopter (with a scenic flight over the Atlantic, Lion’s Head and Robben Island)
- Late spa sessions: open to 8pm, the spa is generally less busy during the evening. Get your spa and float session in while everyone else is having dinner! Did you know that just 20 minutes in the salt water floatation pool is equivalent to 2 full hours of sleep?
- Join the “Pack for a Purpose” campaign: Fill the available space in your suitcase with clothes and toys for the needy, a charity supported by 12A: Pack for a Purpose.
- Don’t take our word for it: Browse the guest photos using the hashtag #explore12A for a preview of what you can expect
WHAT’S ON IN 2017
- Tuesday wine tasting (complimentary): enjoy a wine tasting experience with the hotel’s head sommelier every Tuesday evening
- Tasting Menus: pick from a choice of 3 tasting menus – 5 course Chef Christo’s Tasting Menu, 4 course Taste of the Sea or the 4 course Taste of the Earth menu
- Say I Love you with a Tea by the Sea: book a Valentine’s themed high tea to enjoy with someone special with incredible views of the Twelve Apostles
- Valentine’s Dinner on Valentine’s Day: enjoy a 5 course dinner menu with live music and a red rose for the ladies. An optional 5 course wine tasting pairing is also available
- Food and Wine Dinner with Jean Daneel: sample a range of JD Wines known for its famous Chenin Blanc. It includes a 4 course menu, wine, water and gratuity
- Thursday Craft Beer and Cider Tasting (complimentary): enjoy a unique tasting experience with the hotel’s head sommelier. It includes a selection of 3 locally produced brews
All year round
- Fynbos and Feast: savour a 3 course lunch and a self-guided walk amongst the unique fynbos of Table Mountain National Park
- Astronomy Gastronomy: sit down for 3 course dining before a 1.5 hour star gazing experience to see the magical stars of the southern hemisphere.
- Sunday lunch buffet: enjoy a generous Sunday lunch with live music by Jenie Oliver
- Picnics: take a picnic hamper to enjoy with views of the sea. Hampers are purchased from the Cape Town Society of the Blind
- Art-Tea by the Sea Tour: combine afternoon tea with a 60 minute guided tour of the hotel’s impressive art collection
PSSST! Did you know?
…that the 12 Apostles has its own resident ghost? Emily Bolton who lived here in 1955 with her lover, Mr Butcher, is said to still roam the hotel corridors. Living in an isolated house in the mountains in a time without cars and roads, she was forced to live a very solitary life. One day, to spite her husband, Emily threw all of her jewellery into the bay. To this day, swimmers and divers are encouraged to dive the area in front of the hotel in search of any of her lost treasure…
Want to plan a holiday at the 12 Apostles? Visit our website or speak to our Africa travel experts on 0203 131 8384.