Thailand is a must-go destination for any food lover. Every region has its own cooking styles and famous dishes – the north is well-known for its hot and spicy cuisine, while the south is a little milder. Our round-up of unmissable foodie experiences are sure to help you savour the flavours of Thailand.
Learn the secrets of Thai cuisine with a cooking class, where you’ll be taught everything from how to use herbs and spices to expertly flavour a dish, to the proper cooking techniques. Many classes within our collection of resorts will include a trip to a local market to source fresh ingredients, and sometimes you’ll benefit from a real one-on-one experience with your very own personal chef.
Where do you want to eat tonight? Take meal times to the next level with one of these private dining experiences:
- The Grotto, Rayavadee: set within an ancient limestone cliff, enjoy feet-in-sand dining with an evening barbeque overlooking the spectacular Phranang Beach
- Candlelit Jungle Waterfall, The Sarojin: one of many experiences offered by this 5* resort in Khao Lak, you’ll be sat beside a tropical waterfall and served by a private chef
- Treetop Dining, Soneva Kiri: sit in a bamboo pod tucked within the jungle foliage as your meals are delivered by a zip lining waiter!
Cheap and delicious, Thailand’s street food is infinitely better than anything you’ve tasted at home! Across the country you’ll find stalls serving up rice and noodle dishes, deep fried treats, spicy curries and of course, sticky mango rice. And in Bangkok, one street food eatery has earned itself a Michelin-star: chef Jay Fai was awarded the honour in 2017 for her famed crab omelettes (khai jeaw poo) and stir-fried crab with curry (poo phad phong karee) – believe us, the queues are worth the wait.
Get App Happy
A food-inspired trip to Thailand wouldn’t be complete without a few nights in the capital. Bangkok has one of the most cosmopolitan dining scenes in south-east Asia – and to help you navigate the best places to eat, at the best prices, we recommend turning to your smartphone.
- Eatigo: this app helps hungry diners find empty tables and offers time-based discounts, sometimes up to 50%
- Goloco: finds restaurants near you and allows you to reserve a table while also offering discounts and deals on your meal
Where to stay: The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani
Why: this laidback resort is fronted by a private stretch of sand and backed by lush rainforest. It’s family friendly but also quiet enough for couples thanks to its spacious layout. We love the collection of fun activities on offer including cooking and cocktail making classes!
Read our Guides to Thailand Beyond the Beach:
Browse our collection of Thailand hotels, tailor-made tours and multi-centres on our website: https://www.bestattravel.co.uk/asia/thailand-holidays