Tucked beneath leafy green foliage, the Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort & Spa is a quiet barefoot luxury retreat in Krabi. Backed by the Hang Nak Mountain and leading directly onto a private stretch of beach overlooking 13 islands in the Andaman Sea, this blissful resort promises peaceful living and beautiful warm and sheltered waters. During our three night stay at the Tubkaak, which means “home for visitors”, we discovered just how true this name really is. Warmly welcomed by reception staff as well as Sunny, the resident manager, we couldn’t have felt more at home than if we had been back in the UK.
While our stay at the Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort & Spa was short and sweet, we managed to pack a lot in. Had we stayed longer, our trip would have perhaps been more leisurely as the sheer volume of things to do at the resort had our brief three days really chock-a-block. From day trips out to the nearby islands, enjoying the resort Happy Hour at sunset to Thai cooking classes and relaxing spa treatments, this is a resort that strikes the perfect balance: do as much or as little as you like.
Despite being an intimate boutique resort, the Tubkaak still manages to provide a wide choice of room types. The Superior (ground floor) and Deluxe Rooms (second floor) are set around the pool area, the Garden Rooms are slightly more private while the Sea View Rooms are larger and offer views of the ocean. Premier Pool Villas are set at the back of the resort with their own pool while the Beach Pool Villas have pools with direct access to the beach. For those looking for something a little more spacious and private, opt for a Suite – the Laurel Suite with sea views, the Haven Suite built around a tree which brings the outside inside or the beachfront Tubkaak Suite – the top room category with a private infinity pool overlooking the ocean.
Our favourite room?
The Premier Pool Villa – We may be slightly biased because this was the room category we stayed in, but we found it the most private with a spacious indoor area and private pool. The hidden pool and bathtub is perfect for couples and honeymooners.
What we love
- Yoga facing the ocean. Classes are available nearly every day of the week. Towels, chilled water and bug spray are provided.
- The wide variety of books available for light holiday reading at the Library.
- The Thai cooking classes that allow you to take a taste of Thailand home with you to share with your friends and family members. You’ll cook with fresh ingredients and learn simple and traditional Thai cooking methods.
- The complimentary first stocked minibar. The first selection of Coca Cola, sparkling water and beer are free.
- The quiet and peaceful atmosphere of the resort. As the hotel is suited for older kids only, it has the feel of an adults-only resort.
- Unlike other resorts, the Tubkaak doesn’t allow long-tail boats to dock at the resort ensuring the noisy motors don’t disturb the peace and privacy of the beach. Instead, long-tail boats are ordered from a local contact as and when they are needed.
- The complimentary beach bag filled with towels, sandals and Thai fans.
- The sheltered sea is perfect for swimming and snorkelling. The archipelago of 13 islands shelters the bay from any strong waves.
Best at Travel Tips
- The resort has a barefoot etiquette: shoes should be removed when you enter your room or hotel spaces. Buckets of water are located around the resort for you to wash the sand off your feet when stepping off the beach or entering you room.
- Try the caramelised rice served in a leaf at breakfast.
- Experience the spa with its unusual cocoon-like pods. We recommend booking a night-time spa treatment when you can enjoy the incredible effects of the lighting against the wicker walls.
- Don’t miss the daily Happy Hour available at the Arundina at sunset every evening. Some evenings, there is even live entertainment
- Enjoy the poolside and beachfront service – order a cocktail while sunning yourself with a view of the ocean.
- Hire one of the resort’s four free bicycles and explore the surrounding area at your own leisure.
- Book your transfers in advance. Your Best at Travel consultant can book your road transfers and ferries in advance to save you the hassle.
- Opt for Thai food over Italian. The Thai food is much better and can even be ordered in from the comfort of your room (great for those rainy days!)
- Stay here for at least a week to experience everything the Tubkaak has to offer – as well as allow plenty of time to relax!
Day Trips from the Resort
There are plenty of day trips available from the resort which can all be organised with the local long-tail boat drivers by reception.
Half Day Krabi 4 Islands: 09h00 – 14h00
You’ll be picked up from the hotel in the morning and transported to Noppharat Thara Pier by shared minivan. Here, you will jump onto a speedboat for a trip to Chicken, Tup and Moore Islands where you can swim and snorkel in the crystal-clear waters, have a picnic lunch at Poda Island and stop off at Phra Nang Cave on the way back to the resort, stopping off for sunbathing at the famous Railay Beach. Tour includes transfers, entrance fees, lunch, snorkel gear and more.
James Bond and Beyond Day Trip: 06h35 – 16h00
In the morning you will be picked up by minibus and driven to Aonang Beach where you will enjoy coffee and tea before departing for James Bond Island. Visit the Naga Cave with its stalagmites and stalactites, canoe through a mangrove swamp, have lunch at an authentic Thai lunch in Panyee Village, go sightseeing at Koh Hong and explore the Mangrove Cave by torchlight. Tour includes transfer, tour guide, national park fee, lunch and gear.
Phi Phi Island Early Bird: 06h20 – 16h30
Early morning pick up from the resort and transferred to Aonang pier where you will depart for Phi Phi Island by speedboat (40 min). Stop off at Maya Bay, the famous bay from the movie The Beach, explore Pileh Bay’s Emerald Green lagoon at high tide, visit the Viking Cave, Monkey Beach and stop for snorkelling in Loh Samah or Nui Bay. Stop at Bamboo Island for a picnic lunch before visiting Mosquito Island or Bamboo Cape for snorkelling a coral reef. Tour includes transfers, tour guide, national park fee, lunch and snorkelling gear.
We recommend: Half Day Hong Islands: 08h00 – 14h00
The half day tour to Hong Islands located about 15 minutes’ by boat from the resort. You’ll be picked up from the beachfront in a private long-tail boat and driven by a local Thai boat driver (English is minimal) where you can snorkel the bay at Hong Island and see the limestone formations of these incredible volcanic islands including Lading Island and Pakbia Island. We saw a baby reef shark and plenty of colourful fish! Make sure you go early as Hong Island gets busier towards the middle of the day. Tour includes private long-tail boat and snorkel gear.
Private speedboats are also available to hire for exploring the surrounding islands at your own pace.
Depending on where you are coming from, we would suggest taking a road transfer from your previous hotel to the Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort & Spa as it’s the fastest, most comfortable and most scenic route. We can arrange your transfers for you in advance and your driver will pick you up directly from the resort reception and drop you door to door. Should you wish to arrive by ferry, your Best at Travel consultant can also arrange this for you in advance.
We know how confusing it can be to pick a hotel with the wealth of options that exist out there. That’s why we’re constantly sending out our staff to do the hard work for you. We’ve also tried and tested Kata Rocks and Avista Hideaway and Aleenta Resort in Phuket and Zeavola Resort in Phi Phi Island. Read our reviews!
Want to plan your own stay at the Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort & Spa? Browse the hotel online or call our Thailand experts on 02037 977 216 to start planning your holiday today!
This was a hosted media stay, though all views expressed are my own.